Gamble AwareGamble Aware is an organization that is in place to educate and to help those who are concerned about good gambling habits. It is not just for people who have gambling problems, though that is certainly an aspect of their service, but it is for those who be safe in how they gamble.
Responsible GamblingThe mantra of Gamble Aware is “Responsible Gambling”. This means choosing to play based on all the facts and monitoring and staying in control of the time and the money that you are spending on your gaming hobby. Players who are also responsible gamblers stay cognicent of all the facts – they choose how often they will play before the fact, and they stay true to their schedule. They do not take time away from work or family obligations to play. And they do not gamble with money that they cannot afford to lose – fiscal responsibility is their first priority, and gaming comes second. By playing responsibly, gaming becomes much more enjoyable. The thrill of the risk and the win and the loss is still there, but the loss does not mean ruination to the player, his or her family and friends. The responsible gambler:
- Gambles for the fun of it! Gambling is neither a means of making money nor is it a way to escape problems.
- Knows that the casinos are in business to make money. The gambler is extremely unlikely to make money in the long run.
- Does not try to win back losses. Chasing lost money is a sure way to lose more money.
- Gambles with his or her gambling stake – money set aside for entertainment purposes. Never, ever does he or she gamble with money intended for rent or food.
- Does not borrow money or extend credit to gamble.
- Does not allow gambling to negatively affect relationships with family or friends.